Tuesday, May 24

Thor

Thor (2011) --- 7/10 Stars PG-13

So Action isn’t typically my go to movie, but this was way better than anticipated for me. They surprisingly were able to effectively pull of a great balance between the real world Marvel Universe and the Norse mythology. Hatts off to Marvel once again for a job well done. It’s bewildering at times, condensing nearly 50 years of comic history with a speed that can mean characters are paid scant lip service. You suspect there’s a lot of material on the cutting-room floor. Hats off to Chris Hemsworth as well staring as the Norse god Thor who although New to acting, pulled it off terrifically, plus he is super cut, so if anything I guess you could go see if for that. But I can almost guarantee he will be starring in a lot more in the future. Intelligent comic-book popcorn epics are rare and I gotta say this one set a new bar for the rest to attempt to meet.

In quick summary the plot is a good one and I am not gonna spoil it but Thor is a god, the Son of Odin who is about to inherit the throne when due to his raging temper he attacks Asgard and sparks on a war, in direct rebellion of his father’s orders. Odin then sentences him to Earth to learn a lesson, meanwhile his “brother,” Atum is taking over and Odin falls ill. You can watch to see the rest for yourself and I would recommend it. Regardless of if Action Adventure is your thing it has a great story line and I found it very intriguing not merely fighting scenes as many of them are now a days. So I would say go or at least get it on Netflix when it is out. Here are some of my favorite lines of the movie…



Darcy: You know, for a crazy homeless person... he's pretty cut.
Thor: For the first time in my life, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do...
Agent Phil Coulson: It's not easy to do what you did. You made my men - some of the most highly trained professionals in the world - look like a bunch of minimum-wage mall cops. In my experience, it takes someone who's received similar training to do what you did to them. Why don't you tell me where you received that training? Afghanistan, Chechnya? No, you strike me more as the soldier of fortune type. Who are you?
Odin: You are a vain, greedy, cruel boy.
Thor: And you are an old man, and a fool!
Odin:Yes... I was a fool to think you were ready.
Thor: This mortal form grows weak. I require sustenance!
Thor: [taking coffee for the first time] This drink... I like it! More! [smashes the cup]
Darcy: This is going on Facebook!
Thor: I have no plans to die today

No comments:

Post a Comment