Thursday, February 25

Emotional IQ

So I told you I would be posting more about my results on the test at So here you go today's test was not as interesting or inspiring as the last one but I figured it was still worth a post and still pretty accurate although I am not so found of admitting these results hehe. But yeah this test was to test my emotional IQ which consisted of 2 parts; a self-report portion and an ability portion. The test assesses your capacity to recognize your own emotions and those of others; understand how best to motivate yourself; become close to others; and manage your own feelings and those of others. Emotional intelligence contributes a great deal to your potential in life. A poor emotional intelligence can hold a brilliant individual back from achieving his or her goals, while a good EIQ can help someone who might otherwise struggle achieve success in life.

My results were then as follows....

For the self report component I scored a 101 which as in the 53 percentile so just about dead average. According to my self-report answers, my emotional intelligence no was extremely good. I would like to attribute this to the low-self esteem issues as discussed yesterday that I clearly have not overcome just yet. People who score like me ,feel that their ability to understand and deal with their own emotions and those of others is just barely acceptable. Emotionally intelligent people have an easy time overcoming difficulties in their lives and they are generally able to control their moods. I will admit I do certainly have emo tenancies and as many can attest I have mood swings a lot. It's easy for emotionally intelligent people to motivate themselves to overcome obstacles and reach their goals. In addition, they find social interactions to be quite easy and fulfilling, for several reasons. They are comfortable allowing themselves to get close with others, and feel comfortable being vulnerable enough to establish intimacy. Again this alludes to my inability to score well on this as I am usually quiet uncomfortable around others and have a hard time opening up to people. They (those with high scores on this test) also report having an easy time offering support to others; likely due to an empathetic nature and a solid ability to offer advice. Perhaps by working on your problem areas, you can become more confident in dealing with your own emotions and those of others.


As a result of this test I really feel like there is once again for a lot for me to improve on and I think the first of which is to do as I posted yesterday and start building my self-confidence and self-worth as I feel this will help a lot in not feeling so bad about myself and knowing that I do have things to offer others in conversations for example. So I am excited for that and glad to be reminded yet again of my weakness as I now know even more things I can start working on.

For the second portion of the test where they actually assessed my ability to assess emotions particularly the emotions of other people I actually did surprisingly well with in the top 90 percentile. So I think that this really shows again how hard I can be on myself and helps me see that I am really good at interpreting others emotions, and usually am pretty accurate about things like that. As I always like to say you can't try to hide things with me I will see it one way or another. This reminded me of a presentation I recently hear in my senior seminar class about distinguishing facial and body language to determine the emotion a person is experience. As universally certain faces and gestures indicate and have been linked to specific emotions. As a big fan of smiley faces in texts and on aim I would certainly agree for instance :-( is sad, :-D is really happy, :-* is kissy, :-P is just being silly etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment